Major Field Trip Journal

1:24 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

University of Southeastern Philippines
Bo. Obrero, Davao City

TRAVEL REPORT
October 24-28, 2016

Seminar Overview

A five days trip and seminar in companies located in Metro Manila as part of the Course Field Trip & Seminar, such as Department of Science & Technology (DOST) – Science & Technology Information Institute (STII), IdeaSpace Foundation, Inc., Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) – Traffic Engineering, University of the Philippines (UP) Diliman – UP Information Technology Development Center (UPITDC) for our Mini Y4IT, Nokia Company and Advanced World Systems/Solutions Inc. (AWS).
For these five days trip, I had learnt a lot of things that were related in our course, Bachelor of Science in Information Technology. Most of it were already taught in some of our subjects which is a good thing because I could understand and relate on speaker's discussions. There were also things that were new to me, just like the other things that the Project NOAH could do. Also about the technologies used in Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) - Traffic Engineering who manages their CCTV footages. The best thing is when I knew that Advanced World Systems/Solutions Inc. give good training for fresh graduates of computer related courses. The best thing is that they also teach how to learn the Japanese language and how to deal business with Japanese as part of the training, which encourage me to join because I am very interested in Japanese culture. Also, the training is a big opportunity to gain experience in different technologies.
This five days trip and seminar was really a good experience. This could be a help for my future plans and future career. It somewhat change my mindset about the path that I am taking.

Day 1

Today, October 24 in the afternoon, I went on a seminar to Department of Science & Technology (DOST) – Science & Technology Information Institute (STII) in General Santos Avenue, Bicutan, Taguig.

What I learned?

I learned that the Project NOAH or Nationwide Operational Assessment of Hazards of Department of Science & Technology (DOST) – Science & Technology Information Institute (STII) has a lot of components. Some of them that DOST shared were Coastal Hazards and Storm Surge Assessment and Mitigation (CHASSAM), Flood Information Network (FloodNET), Weather Hazard Information Project (WHIP), Distribution of Hydrometeorological Devices in hard-hit areas in the Philippines (HYDROMET), and Disaster Risk Exposure Assessment for Mitigation – Light Detection and Ranging (DREAM-LIDAR). DOST also shared the new component of Project NOAH which is Integrated Scenario-based Assessments of Impacts and Hazards (ISAIAH) which one of its highlights is strengthening preparedness. DOST also developed a mobile application named Arko which gives the user up-to-the-minute updates on rainfall and other weather conditions near the user or wherever the user choose by accessing the extensive databases of Project NOAH and DOST. Also has a weather channel named DOSTv and a digital library named Starbooks.


What I liked?

I liked when they introduced to us, one of the developer of the Project NOAH and shared his experience in Project NOAHS’s developing days which enlighten me how programming really can help people especially in terms of disaster prevention.

What I didn’t like?

I somehow did not like how they present their projects like by showing us only a video about it because it seems boring.

Day 2

Today, October 25 in the morning, I went on a seminar to IdeaSpace Foundation, Inc. in A. Arnaiz Avenue, Makati. In the afternoon, I went to Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) – Traffic Engineering in Guadalupe Nuevo, Makati.

What I learned?

I learned that IdeaSpace Foundation, Inc. helps young entrepreneurs in the Philippines to develop their ideas and they provide space and resources. They also shared that they do a yearly startup that encourages young entrepreneurs to join, those entrepreneurs that are really willing to build their innovations.
In the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) – Traffic Engineering, I learned that on January 2013 was the date when MMDA launches a new traffic control system named Hermes, which was implemented by a company named Indra. This system is the one who manages the CCTV footage in the MMDA – Traffic Engineering. They shared that the cameras they used for their CCTVs are Internet Protocol camera or IP camera. They also shared that they developed MMDA traffic navigator application which view the traffic situation in system, map or line view, view road incidents, view problem areas and more.

What I liked?

I liked when I personally saw the monitors in the MMDA – Traffic Engineering, which shows the live CCTV footage of the roads in the Metro Manila. It was amazing just watching on every monitors. Seeing others roads that are traffic because of some undisciplined drivers and commuters.

What I didn’t like?

I did not liked our visit in IdeaSpace Foundation, Inc. because they only shared to us what their company all about, just by showing us presentations and videos which seems boring. I also realize that they were just a newly build company, that is why they cannot just tour us around their building because it was still under construction.

Day 3

Today, October 26 in the morning, I went on a seminar to University of the Philippines (UP) Diliman – UP Information Technology Development Center (UPITDC) in Diliman, Quezon City and had Mini Y4IT Convention. In the afternoon, I went to Nokia Company in UP – Ayala Land TechnoHub, Commonwealth Avenue, Diliman.

What I learned?

In the Mini Y4IT Convention, I gained ideas about hacking and the two types of hacker. The first type of hacker is someone who hack for a good purpose, they are called White Hat Hacker. White Hat Hackers hack because they want money, they want to be challenged, they want to have fun, they want to build resume and to do good in the world. While the other type of hacker is the Black Hat Hackers, they are the hackers who hack for a bad purpose like what other hackers do to some government websites and other sites that they hacked for fun. They hack big websites and surely lot of information will be leaked, especially some personal information of users and could cause a big problem on the website. I also learned about Cyber Security which is a set of practices, measures or actions that can take to protect personal information and computer from attacks such as viruses, hackers, identity thieves and spyware. I also learned about developing a game application in a different software which is better than what we are used to. Which is much comfortable to use because the images to use as animation for the game will just drag and then drop.
I also learned how famous Nokia Company was before. Compare now a days, Nokia phones are very rare to see. They also shared about their future plans like they bought a company named Withings and will make their products as Nokia’s products too. Nokia also shared that they will coming back to mobile phones and tablets but not as good as what they produced before.

What I liked?

I liked when the last speaker of the Mini Y4IT Convention shows us how to develop a game, on-the-spot, in a different software. I also liked whenever every speaker ends their presentation, they asked questions and whenever someone gives a right answer they give some prizes which kept us from listening to every speaker. I also liked when the Nokia Company gave us a tour around their building. My favorite is the 3rd floor which has an Asian theme and their meeting room was inspired by the bullet train of Japan and every room has an Anime character wallpaper.

What I didn’t like?

I did not like how the second speaker of the Mini Y4IT Convention presents or maybe his topic was just common to most of us because it seems boring that is why most of us felt sleepy at that time.
Day 4

Today, October 27 in the morning, I went on a seminar to Advanced World Systems/Solutions Inc. (AWS) in Ayala Avenue, Makati.

What I learned?

I learned that Advanced World Systems/Solutions Inc. (AWS) is owned by Japanese, which at the time I heard it, I got suddenly focused on the seminar because of the fact that I am very interested in Japanese culture. I also learned that they deal with different technologies such as Application Software Development, Web-related Development, Mobile Systems Development and more. They also offer good training for fresh graduates of computer related courses. The best part of this training is, they also teach how to learn the Japanese language and how to deal business with Japanese, which really encourage me to join.

What I liked?

I liked when I knew that they give good training for fresh graduates of computer related courses. The best thing is that they also teach how to learn the Japanese language and how to deal business with Japanese as part of the training, which encourage me to join because I am very interested in Japanese culture. Also, the training is a big opportunity to gain experience in different technologies. I also liked that they were planning to build their company here in Davao City if ever there will be a direct flight from Davao City to Japan.

What I didn’t like?

I did not like the time consumed for this seminar because I think it was too short to be able to understand what the company is all about.

Day 5

Today, October 28 in the morning, I woke up early to take a bath and get my things ready for our flight going back to Davao City. I spent my last day in Kabayan Hotel by eating my usual breakfast. The trip going back to Davao City feels like riding a roller coaster because of the bad weather. In the end, everyone arrived safe and sound.